Saturday, February 1, 2014

The digitech Digiverb

So, reverb. Of all effects pedal, it might be the most redundant; reverberation is what sound-creating devices do. Sound, as you know is a series of waves that bounce off of things, thus reverberates. So, some amps even include a reverb tank to duplicate the sound of something reverberating more than what it actually does. That means a pedal is a duplication of a duplication of a naturally occurring phenomena. Hence, the most redundant. Why would I spend money of a reverb pedal? Several reasons- first off my favorite amp is old, and the reverb tank on it is broken ( and not easily replaced), and I don't play my guitar in the kinds of places that get a lot of natural reverberation. But, I also dig neat sounds, and a digital reverb pedal is essentially a specialized kind of delay (echo) pedal, and hence, can generate sounds not found in nature. This is where the digitech digiverb comes into play. See the complaint about it- that it sounds unnatural, and not very much like a spring reverb, the kind found in fender amps, is a feature, not a glitch, if what you're looking for is unnatural sounds, as I always am. There are seven modes on this, and I've been playing on three: Church, Reverse and Spring. Church involves a long reverberation, and a significant alteration of the signal- like a fuzz pedal, you end up making lots of noise besides the note- pretty good for a certain kind of shoegazer- the more noisey end, like Jesus and Mary Chain. Reverse is meant to sound like a volume swell into a "wet" echoey sound. But, like I said, this thing doesn't do "natural', so, instead what it sounds like is a delayed upper-mids volume spike about a half beat behind your attack, which means it's instant dubbiness. I like that. Finally, the much maligned 'spring" reverb. Maligned? Well, there's no purist like an old purist- Spring reverb is one of the aforementioned reverb tanks, designed by Fender, and used by mid sixties surf bands. No digital pedal will ever sound like a spring reverb, and by labelling this mode as such, baby boom, and wanna-be baby boom musicians ( i.e. most of the dudes with money who play guitar) HA-AA-AATE this. I mean real rage. But, if you throw out notions of sounding like Dick Dale, and forget trying to sound natural, what you're left with is a perfectly good "Cramps in a Box"- as in, put the pedal in this mode, crank the treble, overdrive the amp, and play primitive blues licks, and people will ask you which Cramps song you're playing. I dig that. Yes, it sounds cheesey. No, it's not particularly tasteful, and no, it will win me no points with the somewhat douchey "Musician' crowd, but they're not in my crowd, anyway.
Now, there are other modes, and other uses- for a bit of slapback, or a bit of a rockabilly sound, yes, you can dial it in. For a slight thickening, and other tasteful uses- sure. I'm pretty much uninterested in that. If I were, I'd get an actual Fender Reverb tank, or a Hall of Fame. But, How about a bit of love for the screwed up, glitched out mess? Because I much prefer that. Sure, I have an ear, and yes, I know how to be refined, but in my heart of hearts, I'd really rather be playing  "The Goo Goo Muck" at top volume.


No comments:

Post a Comment