Saturday, May 31, 2014

Guitar Fetish

So, in trying to build the "Stagcaster" I've made some mis-steps- the Aluminium pickguard just didn't work out as every one I tried just didn't fit, and the guitar tech that I asked to check my set up actually turned out to be less savvy than me and now I've got some fret buzz (I'll fix that- probably have file down a fret or two, and will raise the action ever so slightly) but one thing that worked out great was going to Guitar Fetish for parts.  The Tele Knobs look great, and function much better than the stock knobs, the copper fill acts as a pretty good noise gate, and best- the Alnico neck pick up sounds great and balances perfectly off the existing bridge pick up. The result is a quiet, but ideally "Telecaster" sound- as in there's a good amount of "spank" or treble response on the attack, and the notes ring out in a chime, with a slight upper mid boost on the decay- this versus the bridge means that on the three positions the bridge tone is slightly harsh and biting, the middle (out of phase) position sounds bright and full, and the neck position sounds bright and bell-like- that is, nothing sounds like a strat, or generic single coil- everything is well within the range of tones you'd expect for a telecaster- but it's got just that little extra bit of signal strength that makes it best for a twangy, steely sound. Good stuff, and now, I think I'll look into some of the other things they sell....

No comments:

Post a Comment